Sunday, March 14, 2010

And Away We Go

And Away We Go
In the Hebrew religion there is a prayer put to song called “La Dor Va Dor”, from “generation to generation” and it is sung in a sweet rhythmic melody. I thought about it the other day and was thinking that some of us, specifically me goes from “crisis to crisis”. Like Rosanna Anna Danna said on Saturday Night Life, “If it’s not one thing it’s another”.
I suppose that’s why in Florida when a new shopping center or strip mall goes up, we all know what happens after the keystone stores go in such as the latest Publix and Walgreen’s. The next place that opens is the pain management center followed by a chiropractor, podiatrist, and doctor’s office of some kind. In the remaining space you can probably find a coffee shop, bagel store and beauty salon. There will probably be some low scale or upscale restaurant as well. The moderately priced restaurants are usually doomed to a short life in the “off season”. At least in the latest economy that’s what I have observed.
In any swimming pool in Florida or café the conversations go on about what happened to someone ,who they use as a doctor, which doctor is the best for “X” condition and what hospital they are affiliated with. Then the medicine list starts with , “What do you take for high blood pressure and the paraphrasing of “ My dog ‘s better than your dog, my dog’s better than yours” . Just the words are changed to. “My diuretic is better than yours is, my diuretic is better than yours”. I knew we all said we wouldn’t get like that, but like Pogo said “We have seen the enemy and the enemy is us”. I suppose that is part of human nature and the process we go through. We have become our parents.

In the last few years my wife and I have had many operations, broken or repaired feet, tendons, digestive issues, blood pressure problems and for good measure a bout of cancer and MOHS surgeries. Welcome to Florida, the sunshine state where most of the natives over fifty five years old can’t eat grapefruit because it exacerbates their statin drug’s abilities in an uncontrolled manner. It is strange because for twenty years I went to work and took my Lipitor, not at night like I was later told to followed by a whole grapefruit for breakfast almost every day, except when grapefruit was out of season. I was none the worse for it. A little lack knowledge is sometimes all right.
At any rate what is one days crisis when it is over is best suppressed by our blessed bodily process that enables us to go on and function in our normal manner and eagerly forget what was bothering us. That we can pick up the daily Sun Sentinel and see who has the best coupons to get our mega dose of salt for dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment